Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Athlete of the Day: Alexis Smith


Alexis "Lexi" Smith is a freshman on Drexel's Women's Basketball team. She is from Calvert County Maryland and is a criminal justice major. She also plans to work in the secret service or the FBI field. Alexis was a standout basketball player at her high school Calvert Hall. She played every position on the court over her four-year varsity career at there, with the exception of center. She also has won three Maryland state championships from 2011-13. Also being a First Team All-SMAC selection all four seasons there. I know one thing about Lexi, the can girl can hoop. 

Everyone plays there sport for a reason. It might be to just get away and calm you down or even just because it brings you so much joy. For Lexi it's all about having fun, friend and escape. "What's most satisfying about my sport is it gets my mind away from everything. It's a very fun and popular sport. I love being part of team/family." Basketball is definitely an escape, I know that from when I was growing up I would just go outside and shoot to clear my head. Honestly I would feel better when I came inside. 

I remember growing up and would hate to get embarrassed on the basketball court. I would honestly try and not to but it would still happen and I would hate myself for letting it happen. We as athletes don't like getting embarrassed it kind of takes away from your game a little. Lexi describes her most embarrassing moment as being faked out, "an embarrassing moment that I have experienced would be when I got caught falling for a ball fake." A ball fake for someone who doesn't know is when the opposing player takes the ball acts as if they are going to pass or shoot. Getting caught on a ball fake happens often, I mean why else would someone use it.  

As a freshman I had figure out something's for myself. Good thing I had A great advisor to guide me through my transition. Lexi has recently made this transition from highschool to college and just like I had to figure things out she did too. "What I have learned in my freshman year would be don't wait till the last minute to do everything. If you play a sport, make sure you get work done on the road. Grades are everything." That's definitely a big one for freshman, time management. I'm a senior and I still have trouble managing my time. Just a little advice from me would be to just get your work done, the earlier the better. All the other activities you want to do instead of your work will always be there. 

I would like to thank Alexis for doing this interview, it was much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment