Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Athlete of the Day: Lauren Hibshman


Lauren Hibshman is a sophomore on the Drexel Field Hockey team. She is biological sciences major, who hopes to pursue a career in Child Development. Lauren has played Field Hockey for 13 years, starting in 2nd grade. Lauren comes from a house of Field Hockey players. Her sister who also played field hockey at Temple University and  mom who played at Bloomsburg University. A exciting fact about Lauren is that she is a member of the Women’s USA Indoor Field Hockey team.

It's always a great feeling when you and your teammate make a great connection during action. Playing here I've had a few of those moments. These moments are what Lauren says satisfy her the most. "A satisfying moment of field hockey for me, is when you and your teammates make a perfect connection up the field passed each opponent. It doesn’t happen every play, but when you get a solid connection from the defensive line all the way up to the forward line, it is the coolest thing to watch and the best feeling ever." "It's even better when the passing sequence makes it all the way up the field and results in a goal."  Yeah I guess that would be something similar to a full court alley-opp pass.

I've seen some of the most bazzare things playing basketball. I've even seen someone get pants during play. The most embarrassing the for would probably be missing a wide open layup, good thing we won the game or that would've been unforgettable. Like me Lauren has had an embarrassing moment.
"The most embarrassing athletic moment that has happened to me, did not take place on field hockey pitch. When I was sophomore in high school I joined the track and field team. I did the event with the least running: discus. At one of the practices we were all lined up practicing our throwing form when all of a sudden I felt something hit my butt and knocked me to the ground. The kid next to me had accidentally let go of his discus too early, releasing it sideways right in my direction.  I could not sit down for almost a week. From that moment on I decided to stick to field hockey." Wow, embarrassing and pain full. Glad you've recovered and there were no serious injuries.

Everyone fears something whether it's snakes, clowns, or spiders we all can relate to the fact that something can scare is half to death. I asked Lauren what hers was, and this what she had to say, "As many athletes can relate, one of my greatest fears is getting a career-ending injury. Athletes constantly push their bodies to the limit and, unfortunately, sometimes beyond the physical limits their bodies can handle. During my junior field hockey season in high school, a ball hit me and broke my thumb as I was going to deflect it into the goal cage. My thumb required surgery to put the bones back together so I had to miss the rest of my season. It was so difficult to watch my team from the sidelines and know I could not help them on the field. Fortunately my injury was very minor, but I could not imagine what a serious injury would be like." I can definitely relate to that, I've seen my share of career ending injuriesanf hope that I'm blessed to stay injury free.

Speeches are the worst thing for me, people often say how come it so easy for you to play in front of thousands of people but when you have to give a speech your so quiet. It's honestly just a lot easier to play a sport in front of a lot of people than to give an oral presentation. Lauren gave me a little pointers on what to do when I get infront of the class, "I have never been good at giving speeches. While I have a come a long way since my elementary school days when I would cry before every speech, I still get very nervous whenever I have to stand in front of people. In order to help me alleviate some of this anxiety, I practice my speech a lot beforehand. Whether I am speaking to my roommate or just to an empty room, it always helps when you rehearse your speech out loud.  Also, whenever I get up in front of people I remind myself to simply be who I am. Whenever I mess up, I take a deep breath, smile, and continue. Its all about being relaxed." Thanks Lauren I will surely remember that for my next presentation.

I want to thank Lauren Hinshman for doing this interview with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment