Monday, May 12, 2014

Athlete of the Day: Laura Rahauser

Laura Rahauser is a Sophomore Squash player from Mecerburg, Pa. At her high-school Mercerburg Academy she was a three sport athlete playing soccer, lacrosse and even ran track. In her freshman season at Drexel she helped Drexel defeat Mt. Holyoke, 5-4, in the first round of the national team championships. She won her matches at the Smith Round Robin to help give the Dragons first place at that event.

I asked Laura what she thought was her best match and she said, "one of my best games as a Dragon was at nationals my freshman year. In squash you play 9 players and games best out of 5. We were at Yale and at this point our team was tied in games, my match decided which team became the 20th women's team in the nation. I ended up winning the match and it was such a great achievement for me but I felt especially grateful to have won it for my team and represent Drexel!" Laura also had told me that the game itself was a nail bitter. Glad she pulled it out for Drexel! 

I like to sometimes ask questions to get into the minds of the people I interview. I asked Laura how I she give away 50,000 dollars. I did this to see what kind of person she was and what causes she would donate to. I found out that Laura went to India in highschool, during her trip she visited an orphanage. This is where she wants give $50,000 dollars to "I went to India in high school and while I was there I visited an orphanage of children that were saved from numerous kidnapping camps in the area. The kids really touched my heart." These are the type of things I like to hear from student athletes. It helps  grow a culture of giving back and to help others in the world who are struggling. 

Laura isn't easily impressed but she says the last thing that impressed her was when "one of my teammates hit a sick kill shot."  It was "fiiiiyaaaa." Growing up in the 90's I watched my fair share of Disney movies. I can speak for everyone and say that The Lion King is the best Disney movie ever but we all have are favorites. Laura says the Little Mermaid is her favorite, "Wow I love a lot of them, but I always loved Little Mermaid."

Thank you Laura for doing this interview with me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment