Friday, May 23, 2014

Athlete of the Day: Kerry Walsh


Kerry Walsh is a senior Health Services Administration major on the Women's Crew team. Kerry is looking to pursuing a career in Healthcare Development. She is from Marlton, NJ, so this means that she can often go home to see her family. Unlike me where it would take roughly 7 hours to get home. Kerry also likes to document things so she takes a ton of photos. Instagram is one of her favorite social media outlets because it's centered around photos.

Kerry is definitely the type of person I had in mind when creating this blog; she is involved in so many good things that someone like myself who is trying to the promote positive attributes about a person. Kerry told me about a camp she and her sister get involved with every summer to help kids. "My sisters and I volunteer every summer at a one-week long overnight camp for Pediatric oncology patients and their siblings called Camp No Worries in Tabernacle, NJ. I have held a counselor role as well as a Program Facilitator role which included monthly meetings with the other planning staff for camp to create a theme, schedule, and activities for the week of camp. This year I took a more on-site role at camp and returned to being a counselor for the week. I do intend to have a more year-round role after I graduate. The way these kids light up when the only thing they're worrying about is running faster than the person chasing them playing duck-duck-goose is unseen anywhere else." If anyone would like to see a short video on the camp Kerry has provided me with a link to the video. You can find the video here: http://www.campnoworries.org/content/videos/videos.asp. 

If you haven't heard but our very Drexel Crew Teams have won the Arberdeen Dad Vail Regatta. This is the second year they won this competition, which is a major accomplishment for this program. The Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta is Drexel's largest competition of the season. There were one hundred twenty-six schools and over 3,500 athletes competed in the 76th annual regatta on the Schuylkill River. "In our event, my boat got the second place silver medal-the best the Women's V8+ has ever done; to reel in just enough points to put us into the lead for the overall team points trophy for the second year in a row. For that to have been my last Dad Vail was an absolute dream. Though first would have been stellar, we did make Drexel History and I could not be prouder of where this team is headed." Because of their stellar performance at the Dad Vail the Crew team will be going to Henley. "Winning the silver medal at the Dad Vail Regatta was enough for us to earn the OK from our coaches and the university to travel to the Women's Henley Regatta in England on the Thames June 18-22. Our Women's Varisty 8, Second Varsity 8, and a double will head over to England to compete. This is a major life goal and will be my last race as a Dragon, and my last race ever. That being said, this is my capstone race and it will be epic." 

I knew that our Crew Team won this competition last year so I asked Kerry how she was feeling going into this years race Kerry told me, "I felt confident, but not presumptuous. Our team has only been getting faster since I was a freshmen in 2010-2011. We felt good, we were posting fast times and holding our undefeated streak since changing people around to the current line up. We were ready to race our hearts out in the final." Well I'm sure I speak for everyone in the athletic department when I say that I'm glad you pulled it out and am proud to be a Dragon. 

I would like to thank Kerry Walsh for sitting and chatting!



No comments:

Post a Comment