Monday, May 19, 2014

Athlete of the Day: Mason Pynn



Mason Pynn is a Red-shirt Sophomore on the Men's Lacrosse team from Victoria, British Columbia where he attending the Claremont school a secondary school in British Columbia. In his first year as a Dragon Mason played a reserve role, appearing in 14 contests. He picked up his only assist of the year against Mount St. Mary's. 

Mason loves playing Lax, if you ever seen a game you know that there is a lot of hitting in Lacrosse  kind of like Hockey. A big hit on a guy can be something to ignite a team and if you ask Mason this is what he likes most about Lacrosse. "The thing I like about lacrosse is the physical nature of the game. I love the scrappiness of it, fighting to get the ball. I also love when you get a good hit and just rock a guy." I can't lie, everytime I see a big hit I just want to jump out if my seat and go crazy. That's not the only thing that Mason like about Lacrosse, he says that "What I like most about lacrosse has to be being a part of a team, something bigger than yourself. There’s no better feeling knowing you have 40+ brothers who have your back no matter what." Mason got a point here, I know when I was feeling down about something my teammates/brothers would be there for me. It may not have been 40 guys on the team but it was always love and the relationships you guild with your teammates last forever. 

 A gameday routine is something a lot of athlete do because honestly I believe we all are a little superstitious. I had one since highschool and kept it throughout college. Masons ganeday routine consist of him jamming to a little music. "I have a bit of a game day routine. Before I leave for the field I always listen to kick start my heart by motley crue. Then at the field I always put on a shirt that belonged to my dad before I warm up and write our scouting report on my gloves. The final thing I do before we go out to the game is listen to Enter Sandman by Metallica to get me fired up." I like the scouting report on the gloves thing, to bad we didn't wear gloves in basketball or I would have had guys on lock down. 

Your captain are suppose to be your fearless leaders. When I think of how a captian should be I think of King Leonidas, ready to die for his guys. A captian like can inspire you to do great things and being the best out of a player. "The captain of the team are Jason Klunder and Ben McIntosh. They keep things easy going and fun in the locker room before a game, keep everyone loose, before the game they give the whole team a talk and get us pumped up, inspiring us through their words." I was never the guy to give a big speech before a game, Frantz that guy for us and he would deliver these speeches with such conviction that we honestly were ready for war. 

If anyone saw our Lacrosse team play two Sundays ago you saw Nick Saputo's two goals right before halftime. I wanted to know what the team morale was like leading up to this Mason told me that their morale was high even before he scored the two goals, "The team morale was extremely high because we knew we were still in that game even before he scored. Saputo not having many goals, it totally pumps the team up when a guy like that scores 2 goals seconds apart to take the lead at half." Definitely, I'm not even on the team an I was pumped watching from the stands. 


I want to thank Mason Pynn for taking the time to chat with me. 






No comments:

Post a Comment