Friday, May 9, 2014

Athlete of the Day: Christopher Crawford


Christopher "Chris" Crawford is a Sophomore here at Drexel, he is second year player on our Men's Golf team. Chris is from Bensalem, Pa, and went to Holy Ghost Prep. Chris was named the Colonial Athletic Association Rookie of the Year, he was the first Dragon ever to receive this award while finishing13th overall at the CAA Championship.

When you play sports it can be pretty nerve racking, I remember playing in the KFC YUMS Center my freshman year at Drexel against Louisville. We were their first game on the new arena. Thousands of fans were at the game and during the game you could barely hear the plays being called. I was nervous at the beginning of that game but once i started playing my nerves went away. Many collegiate athlete get nervous before matches just ask Chris who says, "I would say I'm most nervous on the opening hole of a round or tournament. I don't ever get too nervous out there, but before you get to settle into your round it's always a little uncomfortable." I think it good to be a little nervous, as long as your not scared, that's a different story. 

You wouldn't believe the amount of rules there are in golf, over 180 pages of rules. Wouldn't some of the rules get a little tedious. How many times can you tell me how to put the ball in the hole. Well asked Chris if there were any rules he'd like to change he said, "golf has a lot of very strange rules, I would change the rule where you have to drop in a bunker while taking relief from casual water. It's one of the worst rules there is, and almost assures a terrible lie in the bunker on your next shot."

My if you would ask me who likes my sport the most in my family I would say me. I've been playing the longest out of my family and hopefully one day I'll go pro, so yeah I'm definitely the candidate for that. Although with Chris' family that's not the case. He credits his father to liking golf the most, "definitely my dad. He's the only other family member who really plays the sport consistently, and he's the one who taught me the game." My dad also taught me the game but I still like basketball more.

There was always that one room you had on your childhood where you love going to hangout. In my house it was our attic, it was finished with a huge TV and my PlayStation. Chris loved going to his basement. "My favorite room is probably the basement. We have a pool table down there and it's just a nice chance to escape and relax for a little while." Yeah it hear that, it's always nice to just get away and relax by yourself.

I want to thank Chris Crawford for doing this with me. It was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment