Monday, May 26, 2014

Athlete of the Day: Damion Lee


Damion Lee is a redshirt junior from Baltimore, MD. He is an only child who went to Calvert Hall College High School in Baltimore, before doing a prep school year at St. Thomas More, in Connecticut. Finally ending up here at Drexel.  Dame is also a very laid back person who love all sports and all kinds of music. 

Damion is an outstanding basketball player with many accomplishments on and off the court. Dame has had many great games playing for Drexel but he says that he believed was his best "my favorite games as a Dragon was my sophomore year when we played at Old Dominion University. I started off the game pretty hot, knocking down my first 5 shots and I was in the zone. Finished the first half with 24 points. I finished that game with 34 points, which still stands as my career high. I remember the crowd getting into game and some people were even cheering for me." It's definitely a great feeling to feel like your in the zone. I've felt that before my sophomore year against UMass in the NIT. It was a great environment and I'll always remember that game. 

Dame has faced many challenges in his life, and the most recent a torn ACL causing him to miss the rest of the season. I didn't want to have him reflect on that so I asked him what waa challenging about basketball. He says, "preparing yourself for the games" is most challenging. "When the attention to detail has to be at a maximum and the in-game adjustments that are likely to occur, causes you to have be alert and be ready to react without hesitation."

I know Damion very well and one thing I can tell you is that he and his mother are best friends. Just from being his roommate on the road and seeing the amount of times she would stop by, not to forget how she's been to every game, when Damion wasn't even participating. If you were to ask him who his hero is he would respond, "my mother. She has raised me since I was young, and I know that it is hard to raise a child as a single parent, but for a woman it is even harder to raise a man. She has always been there to support me, since I was little and even now. She comes to every home game, almost every away game, and is a constant in the stands and someone I can go to for advice no matter the situation. She is my heart." Wow, that's amazing. There's some much love between these two. It awesome that I can say I'm glad to know them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment