Thursday, May 22, 2014

Athlete of the Day: Zolten Gercsak


Zolten Gercsak is a Freshman from Budapest Hungary, he is on the Men's Swimming and Diving Team. At his high school he was a four-year letterwinner, and took third place in the Hungarian National Short Course Championship. He also swam the 1500 free at the Hungarian Distance Swimming Championships. Zolten received first place in the 300 free at the Hungarian National Championships, and took home second place in the 800 free relay.

Zolten is an international student, what this means is that he doesn't get to go home often because of the long flights he would have to endure. Zolten had to make the transition to the American way of living. This can be a tough challenge because of the vast culture difference. "It's real different for me, the buildings are different, the culture and the people are different, everything is jus lt different." I can relate to this because when th basketball team traveled to Turkey my freshman summer, and just experiencing everything there was different for me and we were there only a week, imagine having to make that transition for four years. 


Every sport has something unique about it, basketball the unique thing about is that you don't have to be really tall to play. You often see a lot of smaller guys playing the game and make an impact. One guy I think of in particular is Chaz Williams from UMass. The guy can't be any taller than 5'5" and he an animal. Zolten says what's unique about swimming is that is not like a lot of other sports, because it takes place in the water and the water can be terrifying to some people, which makes it a tough sport to participate in. I can understand how the water can be frightening. I'm not the best swimmer, and when I was younger I would never get in deep water that fear of drowning can really scare you until you conquer it. 


I would like to thank Zolten for sitting with me and talking!

No comments:

Post a Comment